Friday, July 1, 2011

Soft Tissue Surgery- Electrocautery is awesome

We amputated G's leg today. We did what is called a proximal third amputation, where we left a piece of the femur. Dr. Bonin feels like this is more cosmetically appealing. Right now, that's hard to judge. I'd have to see it when it's healed better.

The amputation process was so interesting! While I'm pretty sure I won't have electrocautery in general practice, it was really awesome to use in surgery today! I even got to control it for most of the procedure. We used it to control bleeding vessels and to cut muscle bellies- simultaneously cutting and cauterizing.

The coolest part of cutting the muscles with the cautery was the way the muscle fasciculated after being cut. It looked like the muscle was boiling.

The primary surgeon found my fascination with that hilarious.

What have you found fascinating lately?

No comments: