Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sterile/Aseptic Technique

As it turns out, maintaining sterile technique for the length of an average teaching hospital surgery is going to be really hard to do! And in some ways incredibly frustrating.

First of all, my New Year's Resolution for 2010 was to stop chewing my fingernails (and cuticles.) So far, this has been a huge success. I had long, pretty fingernails. But, for proper surgical techinque your fingernails have to be 1-2 millimeters long and can't be painted. I cut them before lab last week to shorter than they've been since just after I quit chewing them... and they were still too long. I had to cut them even shorter before I could scrub in! And, I'll probably have to cut them again tomorrow because they've grown quite a bit since last week.

Then, there's scrubbing in which is, quite frankly, painful. It's not so bad on the fingertips and fingers, but when I get down to my palms and arms... ow! We have to use a really bristly brush and scrub at least 20 times per section (and you divide each finger into 4 sections, each hand into 4 sections, and each arm into 8 sections.) Also, we have to keep our arms held above our waist, with our elbows above our wrists. That doesn't sound hard until you try to hold your arms in that unatural position for 10 minutes or more.

The rest of the process is just a little hard to get the hang of. There's drying your hands while bent over a little bit and not touching the towel to yourself, the environment or an area you've already dried. Then there's putting on a gown without touching it to the table or the ground or putting your hands out of the sleeves. Then there's putting on gloves over the sleeves of your gown.

It's a hard set of new skills and habits to develop, but in the long run, it's worth it. If you learn top of the line now, when you slide a little in practice hopefully you'll still be good enough you aren't killing patients with infections.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, lets try this again. Sorry to hear about your nails. I know how hard you have worked to have nails. The polish - not so important.

I was caught off guard by the idea of sliding a little on the technique, the risks seems so high to not do it correctly every time.

Kim said...

Well, by sliding a little, I mean that I've never seen anyone outside of A&M wear a surgical gown every time, or use 2 layers of drapes, or wrap the packs quite so many times, etc.

But overall, I see what you mean!