Monday, June 20, 2011

Equine Internal Medicine- Foals

I got a really great text message last night from Dr. Norton, one of the residents I worked with on Equine Internal Medicine, even though I've been off the rotation for a week and a half. She was letting me know that the owners of one of my first equine patients had finally named the foal.

For some background, it is very common for owners/breeders to not name foals until they're older. I don't really know why that is. But, when foals are born, they're called Mare'sName Year'F (F for foal.) My guess is that you don't get as attached to animals that don't have names and that foals (like puppies or kittens) sometimes take very ill and die. It's easier to let an animal go, or to make hard decisions weighing life and finances, if the life doesn't have a name.

But, anyway, my patient was a little foal with significant diarrhea. She was in the hospital for a little over a week, and cost her owners close to $3,000.

They named her Aggie's Special Country Star. They "had to name her aggie because she wouldn't be alive without all or our hard work." That's so sweat! And it feels really good to have all the hard work I did noticed. (I had to do treatments every 2 hours for the first couple days she was in my care.)

No comments: