Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Orthopedic Surgery- "Z"

My first patient ever was a 140 pound Saint Bernard puppy. He came in because his referring veterinarian found an Osteochondrosis Dissecans lesion on both his shoulders after he started coming up lame while exercising.

We confirmed the diagnosis and evaluated the rest of his shoulder joints and both his elbow joints using CT. It still blows me away that we use CT on animals! Z's CT scan made quite a first day for me, because even though he was highly sedated, he jumped off the gurney and tried to take off across the parking lot! Luckily, Wendy (the orthopedics technician) caught his leash as he came off the gurney and he didn't get away. He also slept soundly through his CT scan.

He stayed with us for nearly a week before we did arthroscopic surgery on his shoulders. He was such a handful! Young, exuberant, and strong! I had bruises on my wrists from him pulling on the end of the leash.

No comments: