Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Student-Faculty Liason

Tomorrow are class officer elections... I'm running for Student-Faculty Liason. I think it sounds like an interesting position, and I wasn't totally thrilled with its handling last semester.

Here's the speech Leslie and I wrote up. I won't recite it word for word (I can't do that) but hopefully get the gist across:

Hey everyone, in case you don't know me I'm Kim. I know that the SFL job is difficult, and demands a lot of patience and tact. I think it also requires the ability to work with the professors and administration without being disrespectful, or too easily discouraged. Despite all that, and even having seen everything Bryan and Kati have dealt with this semester, I really want this position.
I think it's essential for the SFL to address problems using the proper channels and without being dismissive of students' concerns. Perhaps most importantly, I think that following up on issues once they've been presented to a professor or administrator and keeping the class informed of progress being made on those issues cannot be ignored.
Yesterday I dropped by Dr. Rogers' office to pick up a Rice hat (which is a long story), and she asked me about the concerns we presented to her a few weeks ago and where our class is coming from. Dr. Rogers assured me that she and the curriculum committee are equally concerned about the situation, and are working towards a solution.
I hope you'll vote for me, but even if you don't, feel free to come talk to me about any issues later. Thanks!

No comments: