Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Veinipuncture

Today we did a "blood and plasma" lab in physiology lab.

Our (remarkably patient) lab dog, Winkler, got blood drawn with a syringe in two veins (once each in the right cephalic and right saphenous veins... essentially, the major vein of the front leg and back leg.) And, we tried (about 5 times) to place a catheter.

I got to draw the cephalic vein blood... and, I hit the vein on my first try! I was very proud of myself. Actually drawing the blood was harder, though, because while I have the one handed motion down for a 3cc syringe, the 12cc syringe provides A LOT more tension. I ended up having to use 2 hands.

We never did get the catheter inserted properly. Poor Winkler was really patient with us, though!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!