Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Cadaver day!

Today was our first day in anatomy lab actually doing work with the cadavers.

It's really interesting, though, also kind of gross. I noticed at the end of the lab session that I had a glob of dog fat in my bangs. It was really quite unpleasant. But, I took it out with a paper towel and went on with my day! (And showered immediately upon arriving at home.)

I am slowly getting a handle on the osteology (bones), arthrology (joints) and musculature (muscles) of the thoracic limb (the front leg.)

My interesting factoid from today is that what we commonly refer to as "the arm" (you know, shoulder to finger tips) is not actually "the arm." The brachi, the region between your shoulder and your elbow, is scientifically defined as your "arm."

Oh, and another one... domestic animals don't have collar bones! Dogs and cats have a vestigial clavicle, but it isn't even ossified. Horses and cows don't have a clavicle at all.

No comments: